The role of the KAMP Patient Participation Group is to work with the Kennet and Avon Medical Practice, as a ‘critical friend’. Its core objectives are:
- Facilitate and enable dialogue between patients and the practice team and promote patient involvement in the practice
- Facilitate and encourage debate among patients concerning health needs, health priorities and current service provision
- Collect feedback from the community about current health service provision and suggestions concerning gaps and how services could be improved
- Ensure the needs and interests of all patient groups are taken into consideration – including people with specific illnesses or conditions, people with a disability and people from minority ethnic groups
- Ensure patients’ needs are considered in the development of the practice systems e.g. appointment systems and telephone systems, providing information about and promoting understanding of such system amongst patients
- Support the Practice to achieve its health promotion aims
Meetings are held every two months, alternating between the Pewsey Surgery and the Marlborough Surgery and representatives are encouraged to raise areas for discussion. In between meetings, the PPG is kept informed of any developments and news from the practice via email. There are always several representative of the practice present at the meeting.
Since its inception, the PPG has supported the practice with positive changes; here are some examples of the type of output:
The PPG supported a “Get-Online” event was held in conjunction with our carers’ leads to support patients to access our on-line services
PPG members provide representation at the Council Health Committee Meetings
The PPG designed and updated a “Help at Hand” leaflet which is available on our website and in our surgeries
Feedback from our Annual Patient Surveys (designed and supported by the PPG) have meant that we have changed the way we operate over lunchtimes as well as the way we handle incoming calls and our reception team are now more efficient.
The PPG is the voice of patients, and so if you have any comments, suggestions or thoughts that you would like the PPG to discuss, please send these to the group through our regular practice e-mail address KAMP.firstname.lastname@example.org with “PPG” in the subject line. Alternatively, any comments can be posted to the PPG at the following address:
The Patient Participation Group,
If you would like to join the PPG, please fill out the PPG registration form.